Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tagged!

I've been tagged a few times in the past few weeks. Since these tags involve answering the tagger's questions and asking questions of the people I tag, I've decided to take one post each to answer the different questions I've been asked, and then a final post to pass the tag around and ask my new questions.

This first round of questions comes from C. Lee McKenzie at The Write Game.

1. What's the best part of reading a book you love?
I know I'm seriously in love with a book when I find myself brushing my teeth with one hand and reading the book with the other. The best part is feeling so desperate to know what comes next that I can't even stop reading to brush my teeth.

2. What book(s) have stayed in your head?
Thinking back to my childhood, I still remember Zilpha Keatley Snyder's books, like THE HEADLESS CUPID and THE CHANGELING, and also Judy Blume's books.

3. If you could write one book only, what would the main character be like?
Sassy and tough. I don't know why I like those characters so much, probably because that's the exact opposite of how I really am.

4. What book(s) do you love to read to your kids?
Right now we're reading THE RANGER'S APPRENTICE series by John Flanagan together. This is a long series, but we're all always ready to dive into the next one. When they were younger, I loved reading Marc Brown's Arthur picture books as well as Jamie Lee Curtis's picture books.

5. Do you ever read books aloud to others?
I read aloud to my kids most weekday nights. My oldest is almost 16, but she still enjoys it (at least she shows up when I call everyone upstairs to read, so I hope that means she enjoys it!)

6. Do you like discussing books with others?
I love it! I used to belong to a book club and really enjoyed it, but life ended up getting in the way.

7. If you hate a book, do you keep reading anyway or put it away?
I definitely put it down. Life's too short, and my TBR list is too long.

8. What kind of books do you like best? Sci-fi, Realistic, Historical Fiction, Biography, other.
Fantasy is probably my number one, though I enjoy sci fi, mystery, thriller, etc. And if I'm going to truly love a book, it needs to have some romance.

9. Are you transitioning into the digital age with a Kindle or a Nook or an I-Pad? Or are you sticking with those hard copies? Do you mix it up?
My hubby just got me a Kindle for Valentine's Day. I haven't actually bought an e-book yet because I still have so many books waiting to be read, but I have a couple in mind that I'll probably be buying soon.

10. How much do covers influence your buying a book?
Probably not at all. I love a good cover, but it's not really a factor in whether or not I buy the book.

11. Any new books you'd recommend?
Well, I'll share my two favorite 2011 releases - that's fairly new, right? I loved DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth and THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER by Michelle Hodkin. It's slightly older, but I also loved PLEASE IGNORE VERA DIETZ by A.S. King. King has a new book, EVERYBODY SEES THE ANTS, which I haven't read yet, but it's one of those I was thinking of buying to christen my Kindle.

How about you? Do you have any new books you'd recommend? What books have stayed in your head?

37 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I didn't know Jamie Lee Curtis was writing books now!

DEZMOND said...

DIVERGENT was supposed to be turned into a film, but it's on hold for now.

Old Kitty said...

I too asked aloud "The Jamie Lee Curtis is a picture book author?!?!" Awww but her dad was a painter - so they are a multi-talented family! Yay!

I'm still ploughing through that darned Lisbeth book.. LOL! Kindle will be useless with me cos I truly am such a slow reader! LOL! Take care
x

The Angry Lurker said...

Currently reading Tom Clancy's Dead or Alive, I'm a long time fan....

Brian's Home Blog said...

I enjoyed your answers! A good book cover seems to get my attention.

cleemckenzie said...

What great answers. You made my questions seem quite appropriate! Thanks for playing!

LindyLouMac said...

So interesting to get to know a little more about you Susan. I think it is wonderful you read aloud to your children.
As a mother I urge you to rethink reading Room.

DL Hammons said...

Dang life....it's always getting in the way!!! :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

I still want to read Divergent.

I'm patiently waiting for the 3rd Hex Hall book now...:-)

Robyn Campbell said...

I know the picture books are probably good. I've heard of them. (Jamie lee Curtis) But I get really upset and make a grumpy face, kinda like this > :( when I hear of all these famous folk writing picture books and MG novels. *sigh*

I still read books. No Kindle, etc.

Reading The Unidentified, by Rae Mariz. Thrilling. Clever. Cool. And some picture books too.

(((Hugs)))

Carol Riggs said...

Ah! You got tagged too. :) Yay for fantasy and sci-fi, even mystery and thriller. With some romance, yep! I agree. I'm not like you in that covers can definitely sway me into buying a book! How COOL that you still read to your 16 y/o! I love it. :)

Kelly Polark said...

I love that your 16 year old listens to you read to everyone at night!!!

Great answers!!

Unknown said...

How wonderful you still read to your sixteen year old!

Jemi Fraser said...

Reading aloud to your kids really is a special joy! I didn't discover the Ranger's Apprentice series until about a year ago. I haven't read more than a couple, but I love them!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

isn't that the best when you get into a book so much you eat and brush your teeth while reading? I also like books with a bit of romance. I suspect we must like many of the same books!

Lara Schiffbauer said...

Me, too! I thought I was the only one who will read while toothbrushing. One plus to e-readers - it is much easier to brush your teeth while holding an e-reader than a paperback!!

Lydia Kang said...

I'm a sucker for covers, but I won't buy a book for a cover only, if that makes sense.

I have yet to brush my teeth and read at the same time. If the book is that good, I just don't brush my teeth, LOL

Leslie S. Rose said...

Hello - I'm a fellow tagee from Lee McKenzie's blog. Great to get to know you from your answers. I'm DYING for the sequel to DIVERGENT. I double tagged you on my blog. Yeah, I'm a tag cheater.

Leslie S. Rose said...

It's me again. I forgot to say that I TOTALLY DIG your blog title.

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

I love to read, but I don't think I've ever been so involved with a book that I brush my teeth while I'm reading. Hats off to you. That's dedication.

Fun questions and answers. I think it's great that your teenage daughter still listens to you read. What wonderful memories you're creating for all your children.

Carolyn V said...

Hee hee. I love answer #1, brushing your teeth while reading. Can be dangerous. ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Brushing your teeth and reading. Amazing. I was like that when I read all seven Harry Potter books last fall. I couldn't put them down.

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Fun answers! Brushing your teeth and reading at the same time? I'm impressed.

I really liked DIVERGENT, too. Also, DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE and THE SCORPIO RACES have lingered in my head.

Lauren said...

Ohh, I need to read "The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer." Great recommendations!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Yay to another fantasy reader! I've been meaning to read the Changeling.

Jai Joshi said...

I've been obssessed with George R.R. Martin's fantasy series 'A Song of Ice and Fire' recently. I'm totally hooked and recommend it. However, it's not for reading aloud to the kids! No Sirree.

Jai

Theresa Milstein said...

I brush my teeth and read too!

Divergent was good. I like Chime and Before I Fall, both which I read last year.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I'm no help here....I'm only reading historical fiction from England...I'm scared if I read anything else I'll lose my mojo...

I am desperate to read the Hunger Games again.

Stina said...

I love reading to my 8 yo. She reads to me from her early chapter book, and I read to her from a tween paranormal book.

The Hunger Games Trilogy. But that's because I'm currently rereading them. I'm on Mockingjay.

Jo Schaffer said...

Cool. (=

Hey tagged you for a meme, busy lady--check it out if you can. (=

http://jostorm.blogspot.com/2012/03/lucky-sevens.html

Marcia said...

I really liked The Aviary. Also The Fault in our Stars is fantastic. I've got a mathematical bone to pick with it, but doesn't matter in the big picture. :)

LynNerdKelley said...

Thanks for the book recommendations. I enjoyed reading your answers to the questions!

PK HREZO said...

Interesting! I agree, I never keep reading if I don't like the book... not anymore anyway. :)

Deniz Bevan said...

Ooh! I'm glad I'm not the only one that does the reading/toothbrush-forgetting thing!

Anonymous said...

I read The Fault in Our Stars and it has stayed in my head.

I haven't read a book while brushing my teeth, but some books make me want to do that. I can't wait to reach the end.

Romance Book Haven said...

Lol! I brush my teeth too early in the morning to read as I read till 2.am anyway! Last night I was reading Talli Roland's TO BUILD A MAN!

Talli Roland said...

Yay! Romance Book Haven, I hope you're enjoying it! :)

I'm a big fan of Judy Blume books, too. I recently finished The Glass Castle, a memoir. Fascinating.