Monday, April 2, 2012

Tagged Part Two

WHAT I'M READING: The Morgue and Me by John C. Ford. This was a 2010 Edgar Award nominee for Best Young Adult. The main character is so funny and likable, I was hooked on it right away.

HOW MY WRITING'S GOING: Slow! But I'm getting there. My rough draft is done, so now I'm revising the outline and getting ready to start again. As I mentioned a few posts ago, I read where Cynthia Leitich Smith said she used to write a "discovery draft" and then throw it away. I don't think I'm quite brave enough to throw my first draft away, but I did make major changes to my outline and plan to start from scratch with the second draft, though I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of "borrowing" from the first draft.

THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: Heather Murphy at Random Interruptions tagged me with the ten questions below. I'm supposed to answer and then tag seven more people. Here we go...

1. What is your dream vacation?
I'd love to visit Greece. Second choice would probably be Switzerland.

2. Are you spontaneous or do you like to plan ahead?
I'm a total planner. Though with three kids, things rarely go as planned. :)

3. Tell us one thing you want to do but don't dare do it.
Scuba dive

4. What's your biggest phobia?
Creepy crawly bugs - I don't mind anything that flies, but crawlers freak me out.

5. If you were stranded on a desert island-what three things would you want with you? (Not including your family or laptop.)
Lots of growing foods because I don't think I could kill anything
Sunscreen
Drinking water

6. Name three blessings in your life.
My family
My friends
My writing

7. What was your nickname in High School?
I don't think I had one. Yes I know - how boring!

8. If you could meet the President of the United States, what would you say to him?
Good luck! (and that would be for any president, not just the current one - what a tough job)

9. If you could be any literary character, who would you be?
Katniss - I just love her!

10. What is your favorite quote?
“Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.”  - Martin Luther King Jr.

I've been doing a lot of tagging lately, so with this one I'd like to tag anyone who wants to answer these questions, either in the comments or in your own post. I always have fun learning more about you guys, so I hope you'll play along!

Have a great week!

29 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Lovely Susan!! What a fun tag and Q&A! I love your chosen quote - these words should be studied and followed!! Yay!

Take care
x

Jackee said...

Beautiful! And I learned a bunch of new things about you. :o) Thanks for sharing!

Hope you are well--sorry I have disappeared again. But I'm here! Email me any time.

Hugs!

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Discover drafts are really cool. I've done that. It can be time consuming, but I learned a lot about the world I wanted to create as well as the characters.

Great blessings, and I am so not fond of creepy, crawlers either. :D

Brian's Home Blog said...

I enjoyed your answers and will be glad to take care of the creepy crawly bugs for you!

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid of creepy crawlies and flying insects.

I'd also love to visit Greece.

It was great learning more about you, Susan.

Jemi Fraser said...

I'd love to visit Greece too. One of these days!

I love that MLK quote - so many amazing insights from one man!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I'd love to go to Greece too. Katniss is such a great character.

Fun post. I love reading these kind of posts. :)

Lauren said...

I went to Greece for my honeymoon and it's beautiful. I highly recommend going. :)

Carol Riggs said...

Greece! I'd go there too. Always wanted to go to Ireland and Scotland, too. And Italy. And Spain. :) I'm with you on being chicken about scuba diving. I like to do my breathing ABOVE water, thank you very much!

I'm glad to hear you got your rough draft done! Good job.

Leslie S. Rose said...

You and my son can start an anti- creepy bug club. Even though he is 20, he still calls me to kill the critters in the house.

Nas said...

Loved all your answers to these questions! Very practical three things to take away to a deserted Island!

Robyn Campbell said...

I loved learning more about you, pal. The creepy crawlies get under my skin. Hubby picks them up after the kill is done. EWWW. Gross! I hand him the germX. :-)

But scuba diving is sooo much fun! I gotta tell ya. This gal being from the Keys needs to git Susan under the water.

Theresa Milstein said...

I think I was at the same conference as the person who mentioned Cynthia Leitich Smith's comment. It was one of the bravest (and craziest) things I've ever heard! I couldn't do it.

I'm glad you're making steady conference. Love the quote.

DEZMOND said...

half of my country is spending summer in Greece every year :) They even play our songs in their cafes and speak Serbian :)

Susan Fields said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annalisa Crawford said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love what you'd say to the president - I've always wondered why anyone would want that job - too huge!

Shelley Sly said...

This was a fun post to read. I like the quote at the end. I also like the idea of a "discovery draft", and although I couldn't actually throw out a draft, I have been considering rewriting one of my earlier books completely -- not just heavily editing, but a total makeover. Good luck with your draft!

LindyLouMac said...

Fun to learn a little more about you Susan, thanks for sharing.

Kelly Polark said...

Love always learning more about blog friends. (What about Suds? Is that right? I know a nickname was something like that :)

LynNerdKelley said...

I enjoyed reading your answers, and you picked an awesome quote. I have some tags and awards that I still need to respond to! I'm running behind in everything!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Your progress sounds fantastic. I love that quote too :)

Deniz Bevan said...

Love your answers, Susan. I'd like to visit Greece too!

Romance Book Haven said...

Loved reading about you, Susan! And hate creepies and crawlies too!

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

This is such fun and I love the MLK quote! Greece would be a dream vacation for me, as well. Or Hawaii. And my love of writing is most definitely a blessing. Maybe writing in Greece or Hawaii? Ahhh.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Great answers! Greece would be amazing!

I think I'd want to be Anne of Green Gables so I could live on Prince Edward Island and have spats with Gilbert.

And I'm in the middle of a second draft after completely throwing away my discovery draft (LOVE that term). Well ... it's technically still there, on the computer. But I am not looking at it. And I hope this draft is better because that first one was pretty awful!

Romance Reader said...

Susan, love your post. Lovely quote.

Riya

Jennifer Shirk said...

FUN! I'm a planner too. I need to be a little more spontaneous. :)
Good luck with revising!!

Marcia said...

See, I think the crawlers are easier to handle 'cause you can squash them, but the fliers are gonna come and get me.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Happy Hoppy Easter everyone to you!