Saturday, July 31, 2010

Book Review - Messenger in the Mist by Aubrie Dionne



Two factions on the verge of war… A countryside overrun with beasts… A love tested against duty…

Star, a messenger for the Elite Riders of Evenspark, races through the misted countryside delivering correspondence to the bordering Fortress of Ravencliff. The route is haunted by the mysterious beasts that lurk in the moors. Star risks her life for the hope of relocating her parents, for the glory of her illustrious career, and for an unrequited love.

On one such mission, Star discovers she carries plans for the assassination of Prince Valen of Ravencliff—the man who has captured her heart. Weighing love against livelihood, she must decide what’s more important…the safety of her country or her love for the Prince, who is betrothed to Princess Vespa of Evenspark.

With the mist rising, enabling the Elyndra to gather and threaten the borders of both kingdoms, Star must unravel the mystery of their existence and forestall a war.





I've enjoyed reading Aubrie Dionne's blog, Flutey Words, for quite a while, so I jumped at the chance to read her latest eBook, Messenger in the Mist. Since it's a romance and fantasy, two of my favorite things, I went in with high hopes. Aubrie delivered an action-packed adventure that did not disappoint.

I immediately liked Star, the resourceful young woman who dreams of buying her parents a home in a part of town where they'll be safe from the Elyndra, flying beasts who terrorize the countryside but have not yet crossed the boundaries into Star's homeland, Evenspark, or the neighboring land of Ravencliff. The setting is an integral part of the plot, and Aubrie describes it beautifully, bringing it to life with skillful description and vivid imagery.

Star's love for Prince Valen of Ravencliff threatens to bring both kingdoms to war. When the mist which sustains the Elyndra begins to rise, Evenspark and Ravencliff are both at risk of the Elyndra breaching their borders. When Star is forced to team with the delightfully dangerous Fallon Leer to stop the beasts, her loyalty to Valen is tested. In the end, she must choose only one man to give her heart.

Aubrie's well-drawn characters, suspenseful plot, and masterful storytelling make Messenger in the Mist pure pleasure to read. I hope you'll check it out!

Sidenote: You can read Aubrie's short story, Rainbow's End, posted at A Fly in Amber, by clicking here. Make sure you vote after you read her story by clicking on the stars beside the title.

23 comments:

Creepy Query Girl said...

Yay Aubrie! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed her book and this review is awesome!! Congrats Aubrie on a wonderful accomplishment!

Aubrie said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! This is more than I could have hoped for. You are the best, Susan!

Aubrie said...

P.S. Could you post it on Amazon for me?

Patti Lacy said...

Wow! Thanks for introducing me to another cool author!

Love how you balance this blog with info, reviews, and personal experiences!

Patti
www.pattilacy.com/blog

Susan Fields said...

Creepy Query Girl - I agree, congrats to Aubrie! :)

Aubrie - I just posted on Amazon. They said it will take up to 48 hours to appear. I'm so glad you liked the review!

Patti - Thank you for the nice compliment!

Old Kitty said...

Gosh - what a great recommendation!! A lovely review - thanks for introducing me to a new author and book!

Take care
x

Bossy Betty said...

Why must you tempt me with another book? I have to go back to work soon!

Talli Roland said...

Thanks for the review, Susan! I can't wait to read Aubrie's book!

Ann said...

Great review Susan. I have put it on my ever growing book list. Sounds like a great read.
Inkpots n' Quills

Anonymous said...

Wonderful review, can't wait to read it.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thanks for the great review. SOunds like a fun read.

W.I.P. It: A Writer's Journey

Susan Fields said...

Old Kitty - You're so welcome!

Betty - I know, I'll never get through my TBR pile as it is. :)

Talli - I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Susan Fields said...

Ann - Why do those lists just get bigger and bigger? :)

Catherine - I hope you enjoy it!

Lynda - It was very fun, I love a good fantasy novel!

Theresa Milstein said...

I'm a big fan of Aubrie's writing, but I haven't read this book yet. Right now, I'm working on her first one. And I liked the short story. It's nice for you to give her some publicity.

Thanks for the review.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Great job, Susan! I'll have to check out Aubrie's work. :)

Susan Fields said...

Theresa - I really liked the short story, too. I couldn't figure out how to vote until another blogger explained it, but when I knew how it was pretty easy. :)

Sharon - Definitely check it out!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I just left Aubrie's blog! I am hoping to read Mulcifer and review it. Yay, Aubrie! :-)

Shelley Sly said...

Great review! I'm six chapters in, reading when I can, and I love it. You're right, she describes the setting so vividly, I can see its beauty in my mind. Way to go, Aubrie! Thanks for posting, Susan!

Lola Sharp said...

What a glowing review! Aubrie is such a sweetheart.

And, what a gorgeous cover!

I'll go to Amazon and order it tomorrow.

Love,
Lola

Jackee said...

Voted! A great review, Susan, and a great sounding book, Aubrie. Yay for you two! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I gave you some blog love :)

Susan Fields said...

Shannon - I'll be looking forward to reading your review of Mulcifer! I would have volunteered to read/review it, but I have my plate full with beta reading right now (which I also love!)

Shelley - The setting really stuck out to me. She's definitely got a beautiful way with language.

Lola - Isn't that a gorgeous cover? And I can totally see the mc looking like that.

Susan Fields said...

Jackee - I'm glad you voted! Wasn't her story great?

Jen - I'll be right over!